Best ways to identify a Software Development Company
Choosing the right software development company is a challenging task. It has to start from the basics. Below, we have handpicked some crucial parameters that will help you best in identifying a company producing software products.
1. Credibility – You need to see if your chosen software organization has a successful clientele in the line of your business or a similar one. Also, you have to ensure that they are well versed with your internal processes and future business goals. By browsing through their portfolio, you can look for projects that are similar to your line of business. Customer testimonials can help you check the company's credibility and level of services.
2. Project Delivery Time – The software company that you pick should be having on-time conveyance records while delivering their projects. This shall give you sufficient time to test the software product and evaluate bugs.
3. Application Ownership – Of late, there have been elite stances of proprietory discords between custom software development companies and business owners. To avoid such stints, you need to guarantee that the agreement straight fully assures your provision possession with the laws of administration. We have come up with some additional parameters that are briefly explained below.
4. Safety and Security Issues - The Building Security In Maturity Model (BSIMM) measures software security. The BSIMM framework contains 12 practices cluttered into 4 domains. The domains are briefed below.
- Deliverable/ Outcome Sign Off – There has to be an evident disclosure of core deliverables that must be communicated between the vendor and the customer. This shall ensure clarity in purpose and help in implementing projects on the basis of customer's needs and requirements
- Scalability – Are your objectives scalable? It means, can the vendor company address all your business needs and requirements? This has to be ensured that your goals should be in sync with the software company's deliverables.
- Trial Test – There has to be a free trial to test the features of your software product developed by the vendor company.
- KPI's – You need to be well aware of the KPI's before signing a contract.
- Other Concerns – Whether the custom developed product can integrate with existing systems, how easy it would be to set up and train users, how well can the vendor manage with the product's upgradations/ updates
5. Integration and Communication – Communication and quality of services are more primary today than prices concerned. Today, most of the IT companies use Kanban and Agile model of software development. The Agile Manifesto focusses on project requirements through collaborative efforts of cross-functional teams. Key functionalities include bug tracking, time tracking, and many more.
- SSDL touchpoints
6. Customer Relationship/ Customer Services and Support – It should be a partner type relationship, not a client-company relationship. This leads to extensive communication leading to pitfall prevention. A clarified discussion between the customer and the company on the core deliverables of the final software product sets major building blocks of a successful software organization.
7. Frequent deployment – While looking out for a better software developing company, you have to check if the company informs the customer with regular updates on progress made through the development process. This keeps the developers motivated to work for weekly/ bi-weekly reviews of their work.
8. Recommendations – While you choose a software development firm, visit popular review platforms – Clutch, GoodFirms, and AppFutura. You should request references from previous business clients who may give you true insights about the company's processes and service delivery quality.
9. Training Acceptance – While negotiating a deal with a software development firm, always look at its' policy of training its employees. The extent to which a vendor cares about the professional development of its employees proves their concern for constant development. Necessary tools such as professional certifications, leadership programs, employee career maps can extensively prevent stagnation and enhance the progression of the workflow.
10. Pricing – Understand the scope of your project and your final objective/ goal. The budget of your project depends on the engagement model you select and utilize. You are making a mistake if you pay your developers an hourly rate if they are fully involved in the project. Hourly rates shall cost you higher than monthly rates and this shall decide your pricing effectiveness.
11. Flexibility – You have to check certain important parameters that collectively come under the term, “flexibility”. These comprise of exact mockups, specifications, user stories, and well-structured documentation. You have to keep in mind, software development is a modification based phenomenon.
12. Customer Relationship/ Customer Services and Support – It should be a partner type relationship, not a client-company relationship. This leads to extensive communication leading to pitfall prevention. A clarified discussion between the customer and the company on the core deliverables of the final software product sets major building blocks of a successful software organization.